Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Weird Shopping Experience

I decided to pick up a few groceries on my lunch today since Addy was completely out of veggies. And since I needed to go to the bank, I decided to go to Albertson's. So me and Addy grab a cart and go about our business and when we get on about the 3rd aisle, this male employee starts talking to Addy and stroking her face and arms. I realized pretty quick that this guy was young and had some sort of disability so I just kept a close eye on him. As I was pushing the cart away he just kept walking along with us and he said "her skin is so soft". I said "yes, thank you" and started walking faster. He finally left us alone. Then on the very next aisle he shows up again and started doing the exact same thing again. Luckily, after a minute or so a Manager with a pack of disabled kids showed up and he told "Junior" to come on. Thank you Mr. Manager, I didn't really know the best way to handle that situation. Well, then I'm checking out and the bagger girl asks me if I'd like help to the car. She seemed a little "off" too but I couldn't make out a distinct disability. Anyway, the checker lady told her "don't ask, you should just do it" and I said "well, I usually turn it down, but since it's raining and I have some heavy items, I'll take you up on it". So we start heading to the car and on the way out that Manager guy told another girl in his "pack" to come help this other bagger girl. So we get to the car and the 1st bagger girl starts to get Addy out of the cart....ummm, excuse me, I'll do that. I mean really, I don't know if she is going to take off running with her. But she says, "it's okay, I love babies". So I quickly assess the situation and realize this girl is pretty small and Addy is not light, so if she starts running I can make a quick tackle! So I just assist her getting Addy out and I kept one hand on her on the way to her car seat. When she tried to get Addy in the seat, her arms were shaking vigorously so I just took her and did it myself...I did not want her to drop her for goodness sakes. All of these people were very nice and apparently LOVE babies, I just thought the LOVE was taken a little too far all the way around! But Addy did like the attention, so at least something good came out of it. When I told Ally this story she mentioned she thinks Albertson's has a program that allows young adults with disabilities to work. I think Tuesday was the day! I felt like I was in a Twilight Zone or something....I certainly didn't want to be rude, but I didn't want to take any unnecessary risks either.

Ashleigh had her 1st violin lesson yesterday. It went pretty well. It's at the Fine Arts Academy at the First Baptist Church in Keller. We had a hard time finding the room. Luckily, RC and Syd were with us because Syd has her piano lesson at the exact same time so that we can take turns driving each week. Since Addy was with us in the stroller and the lessons are on the 2nd floor, we hop on the 1st elevator we see. Walk around and realize we need the other side of the building, only to realize the floor doesn't go all the way around the 2nd floor. To get to the other side you have to go down the elevator walk to the other side and then back up the elevator. Geesh, I'm sure people were laughing at us! Ash and Syd were all confused as to why we were "playing" in the elevator. When we were leaving for the lesson Ash said "are we going to my show now?" Since the only side of music she has seen is Brittany's performances, Syd's recitals, etc, she thought she would be preforming as well. I think lessons are going to be a disappointment to her for a while. Her teacher told me she told Ash they were going to do a "pepperoni pizza" rhythm, and Ash told her "but I don't like pepperoni pizza, I like CHEESE pizza". I'm sorry Mrs. Lisa, you're going to have your hands full with this one! LOL, too funny!! The hard part is that I know NOTHING about music, so I'm not going to be able to help her much at home. Should be interesting!

Brian barbecued some yummy country style ribs tonight and I made Stove Top stuffing and baked asparagus (yummy with garlic herb seasoning and butter). The York's turned down our invitation but the Harris' joined us and we still had a couple of ribs left. They put so many in that package! Of course, the 2 boxes of stuffing were long gone!

I can't remember if I told you, but one of my co-workers in Wyoming passed away and he was only 40 years old. He was complaining that he didn't feel well so he went to bed and never woke up. So sad. I think we are still waiting to hear what caused his death. It is just so very scary that you don't know what tomorrow will bring. Live every day to it's fullest and enjoy every moment!

Okie dokie, I'm going to watch the news. Sleep Tight!

4 comments:

JESSICA said...

WOW - that is a strange grocery store experience. I would have been all over someone touching my child. You are much nicer than me!!
Ash will love her lessons soon enough. I hope I can go to her recital if there isn't a limit on the amount of people that can attend. How exciting!

The York Family Blog said...

Ash will grow into the music thing. Gonna take some time. Oh, and the fun Addy is going to have listening to her big sister skreech on that violin. Priceless. hehe

Anonymous said...

Grocery store tale is BAD! If you get a "red flag" go with it! God gave us those flags to protect us! Tell your kids about those red flags too! That store is wrong to allow child touching because it de-sencitizes kids to trouble! NO ONE touches kids! WOW, I seem worked up about this! So sweet about the music lesson & pizza! Ashleigh has a cute attitude! I love that she speaks up! Sorry your co-worker passed. Hope God gives me that same passing; I love a nap!LOL! Life is so frail & sweet! Love, Auntie S

JESSICA said...

SLACKING on the 'ole blog, Mrs. Linder. Tisk, tisk! :)